Slideshow

...about expansions.

Have you ever tried to stretch something to proportions it wasn't supposed to attain?
Like, stretching one biscuit to feed four people? Or, stretching a pair of size 12 jeans to fit a size 16 body?

That's the situation I've dealt with over the past few weeks. I finished my 20,000 word paranormal novella, Tugger's Down. Great. But then, two test readers told me I must expand it to full novel size.

Hmmm.

Have you ever tried that? It's excruciating.

After much mumbling, hair-pulling and tears, my poor novella has attained a size of almost 40,000 words. Not nearly enough. But I had to take a break from the torture, so I'm currently editing two other novels I finished (finished? ha!) last year.

Writing is fun. Rewriting, editing, stre-e-e-e-tching, is for the birds...

2 comments:

Ray Ray said...

I agree with you whole heartedly, we unknown writers, especially us ancient ones, need to get off and on. I too, want to see the fruits of my labor, not to become rich or even make anything. A pat on the back and a "I liked that,' is all I'm after. Like you, I feel that urgency to get something accomplished even though I feel sure I'm going to live to be a hundred. Ray Ray

Anonymous said...

Yep. You're right, Ray Ray. I want to share my work while I'm still around to know if someone enjoyed it. I agree with you.